Vice President and Coordinator, Health Policy
Senior Vice President, Inclusive Growth. In the interim, this position will report to the Executive Vice President for Policy.
Staff reporting to this position: Health Policy team
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position Classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 9
Minimum compensation: $140,000
The Vice President and Coordinator for Health Policy will lead American Progress’ cross-cutting efforts to strengthen public health and end the COVID-19 pandemic, addressing the significant vulnerabilities in the U.S. public health system to ensure that it is more resilient and that care is affordable and accessible to all. This effort also includes taking all possible means to ensure that Americans are vaccinated, the most vulnerable are prioritized, and key steps are taken to reopen schools and the economy, driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” Developing this strategy at American Progress necessarily requires seeing and executing on points of connectivity with the organization’s five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
This position requires developing, communicating, and moving toward implementing policy ideas that provide a new way forward for a range of equity challenges in an increasingly diverse America—with a particular focus on health. The Vice President and Coordinator will create a work plan for the Health Policy team, further develop American Progress’ strengthening public health cross-cutting concept note, contribute to an Inclusive Growth department work plan, and ensure clear annual objectives with measurable outcomes. The position requires coordinating policy analysis, substantial research, and writing with experts across American Progress. The Vice President and Coordinator will also manage the Health Policy team’s relationships with outside stakeholders, including ally organizations, policymakers, and the media.
This leader will have the opportunity to further build and manage a dynamic, high-performing team and critical cross-organizational workstreams. They will think strategically about turning ideas into action, collaborating with other teams at American Progress within the Inclusive Growth department and across the organization, as well as in coalition with other organizations in this space. This leader will be expected to help raise funds commensurate with the strategy and build-out plan for the organization’s cross-cutting health priority and to support the Inclusive Growth department within American Progress. The ideal candidate will have a strong command and understanding of health policy; facility with government institutions at the local, state, or federal level; executive or legislative branch experience; and relationships with key players in the field.
- Provide day-to-day management for the Health Policy team, develop its policy research and communications agenda, and lead American Progress’ priority in strengthening public health.
- Work with the department Senior Vice President and the Executive Vice President for Policy to set the strategic direction for health policy, including development of cross-cutting efforts.
- Play a leading role in managing the Health Policy team’s budget, assist with fundraising efforts to meet the team’s policy work plan, and support American Progress’ cross-cutting work.
- Represent the Health Policy team with the public, media, and other outside groups and individuals.
- Promote team priorities and work products both inside and outside American Progress.
- Assist colleagues and guide the team in crafting timely policy reports and rapid-response documents to ensure relevant participation in policy debates.
- Update American Progress staff regularly on news and events related to relevant policy debates in Congress and/or the administration.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to the American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is preferred.
- Knowledge and experiential expertise as well as a proven track record in health policy.
- Knowledge of federal policymaking and experience working with Congress and federal agencies.
- Must have established relationships with policymakers, advocates, and community leaders inside Washington, D.C., and in the states.
- Excellent presentation and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills; quantitative skills are a plus.
- Experience with fundraising and managing budgets.
- Skills and experience in managing a team and actively participating in cross-team and cross-organizational efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic, long-term plans and implement them successfully.
- Strong political instincts and experience working with coalitions.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.